Here is the top 20 list of the current most shorted stocks with the highest short interest across all major U.S. stock exchanges as of the last update July 28th, 2021.
These are the companies that have the highest percentage of their share float borrowed to sell short or even sold naked with no borrowed shares over the past month. These short positions reveal built in future buying pressure as the shares short must be bought back at some point to cover. These stocks are the ones in the highest danger of short squeezes as the bears may have overstayed their welcome. Bears failed to lock in their profit as short interest continues to grow and appear to be betting on even a lower price point than where it already is on heavy short interest. Selling short goes against the long term trend in the stock market and even in bad companies there is a limit on how far it can go down before bouncing higher even temporarily. Getting on the most shorted stock list can be bullish for a stock signaling it is about to rally higher after reaching the highest level of short interest in the entire market.
For traders looking for short squeezes, to buy value stocks, or buy into the deepest dips, this list is a great place to start.
Be aware that the NASDAQ short interest is updated twice a month. Short interest data is reported on mid-month and end-of-month settlement dates for NASDAQ listed stocks. Most exchanges do month end reporting. So it is constantly changing but is delayed in reporting.
Rank/Ticker/Company/Exchange/Short Interest/Industry and Sector
- FUV Arcimoto Inc Nasdaq 37.26% Auto & Truck Manufacturers
- WKHS Workhorse Group Inc Nasdaq 35.81% Auto & Truck Manufacturers
- BLNK Blink Charging Co Nasdaq 35.31% Utilities – Electric
- GOGO Gogo Inc Nasdaq 32.50% Communications Services
- SPRT Support.com, Inc. Nasdaq 29.46% IT Services & Consulting
- ROOT Root Inc Nasdaq 29.11% Insurance – Multiline & Brokers
- RIDE Lordstown Motors Corp Nasdaq 28.69% Auto & Truck Manufacturers
- GDRX Goodrx Holdings Inc Nasdaq 28.66% Online Services
- SDC SmileDirectClub Inc Nasdaq 28.11% Medical Equipment, Supplies & Distribution
- CLVS Clovis Oncology Inc Nasdaq 27.79% Biotechnology & Drugs
- OTRK Ontrak, Inc. Nasdaq 27.75% Healthcare Facilities
- SENS Senseonics Holdings Inc AMEX 27.36% Medical Equipment & Supplies
- MSTR MicroStrategy Inc Nasdaq 27.21% Software & Programming
- OCGN Ocugen Inc Nasdaq 27.03% Biotechnology & Medical Research
- NKLA Nikola Corporation Nasdaq 26.24% Auto & Truck Manufacturers
- PRTS Carparts.Com Inc Nasdaq 24.85% Retailers – Auto Vehicles, Parts & Service
- GEO The GEO Group Inc NYSE 24.40% REITs – Specialized
- PETS Petmed Express Inc Nasdaq 24.04% Retail (Drugs)
- RIOT Riot Blockchain Inc Nasdaq 23.97% Fintech – Blockchain & Cryptocurrency
- KDMN Kadmon Holdings Inc NYSE 23.27% Pharmaceuticals