The weakest part of any trading method is the trader themselves. There are many, many, robust trading systems and methods that do make money in the long term. The problem is the trader having the discipline and mental toughness to trade one of them consistently. The vast majority of time it is not a system failure but traders that fail in this game through one of seven common errors. If you can understand these errors and overcome them you could make a lot of money in the right market conditions.
- The trader must have the discipline to take the system’s entries and exits.
- The trader must have the discipline to take the stop loss on a losing trade when it is hit and not keep holding and start hoping.
- No matter the method the trader has to manage risk through proper position sizing, getting greedy and trading too big will blow up even the best systems.
- It is the trader that must have the perseverance to stick to the method even during losing periods, and also stick with trading until success is reached.
- If a trader can not manage their mind then the stress will break them, I have seen this happen many times. If you can’t handle losing you can’t trade.
- The trader must find a robust method, must understand why it has an edge, and must believe in their methodology.
- The trader has to know themselves and trade the method that fits their risk tolerance levels and own psychology.
The good news is that if none of these errors fit you when you lose money in a trade then the market was just not conducive to your methodology, and it is not your fault so don’t dwell on it.