Click here to get a PDF of this post
The definition of man·age:
To direct or control the use of; handle.
To exert control over.
To make submissive to one’s authority, discipline, or persuasion.
To direct the affairs or interests of.
To succeed in accomplishing or achieving, especially with difficulty; contrive or arrange.
1. Traders must be great risk managers.
“At the end of the day, the most important thing is how good are you at risk control.” -Paul Tudor Jones
2. Traders must manage their own stress.
Trade position sizes that keep your stress level manageable, if you can’t talk calmly to someone while trading you are trading too big.
3. Traders have to be able to manger their emotions, we have to trade our plan not our greed or fear
“There is nothing more important than your emotional balance.” – Jesse Livermore
4. Traders must manage their ego and need to be right.
5. Traders must manage entries. When the time is right take the entry. Don’t wait until it is too late and chase, and don’t get in prematurely before the actual signal, also don’t get carried away and be to aggressive trade the right size.
6. Traders must manage the exit. Whatever our exit strategy is we have to take it. Sell at your target, exit into an exhaustion gap, or take the trailing stop, whatever the plan is follow it.
7. We have to manage our thoughts. We have to focus on what is happening right now. Mentally time traveling back into the past and reliving our losses has no value, we have to learn from our lessons and move forward. Mentally time traveling into the future and believing that big profits await if we take a huge position size and go for it, may be the most dangerous mind set of all. We must manage our mind and focus it on following a tested trading plan.