5 Millionaire Habits That Can Change Your Life
Like most people, you probably dream of becoming a millionaire. The good news is that becoming a millionaire is not reserved for the lucky few or those born into wealth. In fact, according to statistics, only about 12% of millionaires inherited most of their wealth. This means that building wealth is possible for anyone willing to adopt certain habits and strategies. In this article, we’ll break down some of the millionaire habits and techniques you can use to build wealth and achieve financial success. Here are the five core habits that changed my life and built my foundation to become a millionaire.
Habit 1: Write Down Your Goals
One of the first habits that you should adopt is journaling. Journaling is a great way to dump your thoughts and ideas onto paper. The most important thing you need to write down is your goals. By writing things down, you can gain clarity when thinking about long-term goals, especially when building wealth. It can also be therapeutic and help you overcome struggles or problems that you might be facing. Looking back at your writing, you can better understand your direction and make necessary adjustments to your goals. My financial journey started at 19 when I first wrote down goals in all areas of my life. When you write down where you want to go in life, you program your subconscious with a target. While writing down your goals doesn’t guarantee success, not having any direction or path will almost guarantee failure. Keeping a written journal of your journey is a powerful tool that brings mindfulness to your pursuit of success.
How Do You Journal?
- Set a regular time to journal: Choose a time of day that works for you and make it a habit to journal at that same time each day. This could be first thing in the morning, before bed, or during your lunch break. Consistency is critical to forming a successful journaling habit. Many people use social media, their blog, or YouTube to do this in the 21st century. Others use a private spreadsheet, notepad, or Word document. Do what works for you.
- Write freely and without judgment: When you sit down to your private journal, don’t worry about grammar, spelling, or how your writing sounds. Journaling aims to express your thoughts and feelings, so don’t censor yourself. Writing without judgment can help you to get in touch with your emotions and process them more effectively.
- Use prompts or questions: Sometimes, knowing where to start when journaling can be challenging. Using prompts or questions can help you to focus your thoughts and get started. You could use prompts like “What am I grateful for today?” or “What are my goals for the next month?” to get your writing flowing.
- Keep your personal life private: Journaling is personal, so keeping your private journal confidential is essential. This will allow you to write freely without worrying about who might read your writing. You could keep your journal in a locked drawer or use a password-protected digital journaling app to keep your writing secure. Your public online sharing should stay confined to your career and business life.
- Review and reflect: Set aside time each week or month to review what you’ve written in your journal. Reflect on your thoughts and feelings and look for emerging patterns or insights. This can help you to identify areas of your life that may need attention or celebrate your successes and accomplishments.
I have tracked my life’s journey through private journaling, spreadsheets, written books, social media, and blogging.
Habit 2: Focusing on Producing Instead of Consuming
When you find free time, focus on building skills instead of consuming content like most people. This could be anything from learning new software to reading a book an hour before bed to increase your value and skillset. By focusing on building skills, you’ll make yourself more valuable in the eyes of the world. You’ll become more productive, learn new things, and become more efficient in achieving your goals.
Tips for Focusing on Producing
- Set specific goals: Identity what you want to produce and set specific, achievable goals for yourself. Whether learning a new skill, writing a book, or building a business, having a clear plan will help you stay focused on the production process.
- Develop a routine: Establish a daily practice of prioritizing time for producing over-consuming. This could mean dedicating a certain amount of time each day to work on your project or scheduling specific days of the week for production work.
- Minimize distractions: Identity what distracts you from producing and find ways to minimize them. This could mean turning off your phone, working silently, or focusing on the task at hand.
- Embrace failure: Don’t be afraid to fail. Producing something new requires experimentation, trial and error, and the willingness to make mistakes. Embracing failure as part of the creative process will help you focus on producing instead of getting bogged down by perfectionism or fear of failure.
- Collaborate with others: Working with others can be a great way to stay focused on producing. Collaborating with like-minded individuals can provide motivation, accountability, and fresh perspectives to help you stay engaged and focused on your project. Whether joining a group of investors or entrepreneurs or partnering with a colleague or friend, collaboration can be a powerful tool for staying focused on producing. Most people need an accountability partner to help push them through hard work. I have had key people in my life push me through to each level of success.
Your net worth is the variance between your consumption versus your production. I have always worked hard at learning and growing and have had little interest in passive consumption or entertainment.
Habit 3: Taking Time to Think
Bill Gates, the wealthiest man in the world, takes a week, twice every year, to go into a cabin, isolate himself from the world, and spend that time thinking and reading about life and ideas. Taking a step back from time to time and thinking is essential to ensure you’re going in the right direction. Meditating or going for long walks can help you clear your mind and get into a state of mind where you are very clear on what you are doing. I go into deep thought for at least an hour a day, pondering my goals, the track I am on, and how I can improve what I am doing in trading, business, and my personal life. Most people prefer action to the deep work of thinking, but thoughts are where the hard, meaningful work is done.
“Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason so few engage in it.” – Henry Ford.
How To Make Time to Think
- Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness is being present at the moment, without judgment. By practicing mindfulness, you can become more aware of your thoughts and emotions and better manage them. This can help you gain a clearer perspective on your life and your actions.
- Take a break: Sometimes, the best way to gain perspective is to step away from your daily routine. Take a break from work or your usual activities and spend some time doing something that relaxes you or makes you happy. This could be anything from walking in nature to reading a good book.
- Reflect on your values: Consider your core values and how they align with your actions. Are you living in a way that is consistent with your values? If not, what changes can you make to align your activities with your values?
- Seek feedback: Ask for feedback from trusted friends, family members, or colleagues. Sometimes an outside perspective can help you see things more clearly and give you new insights into your life and actions.
- Plan time to think: Set aside time each day for thinking. I have found the best times to think to be in the morning before the day begins and at night before going to sleep. Mornings are an excellent time for planning what you want to get done, and the night is a great time for reflection on what happened.
Habit 4: Block Scheduling
Block scheduling is a great way to increase your productivity. By filling out a calendar religiously, you can schedule everything you need to do for that specific day. This helps you keep track of your tasks and not forget important deadlines. By creating a routine in your life, you’ll be more productive and focused on reaching your goals. I prefer a set schedule and system with daily and weekly things planned to get completed in the right sequence and timing. This will become automatic over time, requiring little planning as a systematic routine is established.
How Do You Implement Block Scheduling?
- Start with a plan: List all the tasks and activities you must accomplish each day before block scheduling. Group similar tasks together and assign time slots to each block of tasks.
- Prioritize your tasks: Determine which tasks are the most important and schedule those first. This will help ensure you are using your time efficiently and getting the most important things done.
- Be realistic: Don’t schedule more than you can realistically accomplish in a given period. Be honest about how much time you need for each task, and ensure you are leaving enough time for breaks and other activities.
- Use a planner or calendar: Use a planner or calendar to keep track of your schedule and ensure you don’t forget any critical tasks or appointments. You can use a physical planner or a digital calendar, whichever works best for you.
- Stick to the schedule: Stick to it as closely as possible once you have created your block schedule. Avoid distractions and try to stay focused on the task at hand. If you find that a particular schedule isn’t working for you, make adjustments as needed until you find a system that works well for your needs.
Suppose you want to achieve the productivity level to become a millionaire. In that case, you must know what needs to be done daily to move you toward your goals and also be efficient in planning and systematic execution of your process of wealth building. This will be different for everyone based on their own goals.
Habit 5: Networking
The people you associate with closely will be the people you become. By spending time with successful financial people or at least studying them, you’re more likely to become successful. Associating with people who are driven towards their goals and have made money or found success on their own can be valuable. You can find these people by networking with successful investors, successful family members or even messaging successful people on social media. Your friends and acquaintances have a lot of influence over how you think and act. Find the right people to associate with either digitally online or in real life. Millionaires, market wizards, and entrepreneurs were my heroes that inspired me when I was young and showed me what was possible.
How to Network More
- Attend events: Attend networking events and industry conferences to meet new people and make valuable connections. These events provide an opportunity to meet others interested in the same industry or field as you and can provide a wealth of information and new opportunities. Extroverts love this whole process, while introverts may prefer a different path.
- Join a professional organization: Joining a professional organization or association in your field can provide networking opportunities and access to educational resources and industry news. This can be a great way to meet others in your field and learn from those with more experience.
- Utilize social media: Social media platforms like LinkedIn and Twitter can be powerful networking tools. Make sure your profile is up-to-date and professional, and use these platforms to connect with others in your field, share information, and participate in industry discussions.
- Volunteer: Volunteering for a cause or organization that aligns with your interests and values can provide opportunities to meet new people and make valuable connections. Not only can you make a difference in your community, but you can also build your network and gain valuable experience.
- Be genuine: When networking, being genuine and authentic in your interactions with others is essential. People can sense when someone is only interested in them for personal gain, which can be a turnoff. Instead, focus on building authentic connections with others and offering value to those you meet.
Becoming a millionaire is not an impossible dream; if I can do it, it’s possible for most people once they find the right path for their own strengths. By adopting these millionaire habits and strategies, you can achieve financial success and reach your goals. Written goal tracking, focusing on producing instead of consuming, taking a step back and thinking through your next steps, block scheduling to stay on a system for success, and networking are just some habits you can adopt to build wealth. Building wealth takes time and effort, but it’s ultimately worth it. Start small, stay focused, and keep working towards your goals. That’s how I did it.