Becoming a millionaire may seem like an unattainable dream for many, but the truth is, it’s more achievable than you might think. You can build a fortune with patience, discipline, and an intelligent financial plan without burning yourself out. In this post, we’ll explore three low-effort strategies that can set you on the path to financial freedom and make your million-dollar dreams a reality.
What are the three ways to become a millionaire?
- Dollar-cost average into the S&P 500 index for 40 years.
- Build a business up to a value of one million dollars.
- Own 1,000 shares of a stock that grows to be worth $1,000 a share.
1. Dollar-cost average into the S&P 500 index for 40 years.
We can use the future value of an ordinary annuity formula to calculate the amount you need to invest per month to reach $1,000,000 in 40 years at an 8% annual compounded growth. This is the average historical rate an investor can expect long-term on the S&P 500 index fund.
The formula is:
FV = PMT * [(1 + r)^nt – 1] / r
Where: FV = future value of the investment (in this case, $1,000,000) PMT = monthly investment amount (the value we want to find) r = monthly interest rate (annual interest rate divided by 12) n = number of times the interest is compounded per year (in this case, 12 for monthly compounding) t = number of years (in this case, 40 years)
First, we need to convert the annual interest rate (8%) to a monthly return rate:
monthly_interest_rate = (1 + 0.08)^(1/12) – 1 ≈ 0.006427
Now we can rearrange the formula to solve for PMT:
PMT = FV * r / [(1 + r)^nt – 1]
Plugging in the values:
PMT = $1,000,000 * 0.006427 / [(1 + 0.006427)^(12*40) – 1]
PMT ≈ $210.58
So, you would need to invest approximately $210.58 monthly to grow your investment account to $1,000,000 in 40 years at an 8% annual compounded growth rate. Of course, I’m not saying this is how it works out perfectly; there will be a wide variance in monthly and annual returns. While the volatility will vary, the long-term destination will likely and inevitably lead to being a millionaire based on the historical performance of the past 100 years. This is the strategy that Warren Buffett recommends to those not interested in learning about investing.
2. Build a business up to a value of one million dollars.
Building a business up to one million dollars is a complex process involving several vital steps. While there’s no one-size-fits-all approach, here’s a general outline to help you get started:
- Idea and market research: Develop a unique, viable business idea or identify a problem you want to solve. Conduct thorough market research to understand the target audience, competitors, and the overall market landscape.
- Develop a business plan: Create a comprehensive business plan that outlines your business goals, target market, products or services, competitive advantage, pricing strategy, marketing approach, and financial projections. A well-crafted plan will help guide your business and attract potential investors.
- Establish a legal structure: Decide on the legal structure of your business, such as a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, or LLC. Register your business, obtain necessary licenses and permits, and comply with all relevant regulations.
- Build a strong team: Assemble a skilled and motivated team to help run your business. Hire individuals with complementary skills and a shared commitment to the company’s success.
- Develop your product or service: Design, develop, and refine your product or service to meet the needs of your target market. Pay attention to quality, functionality, and customer feedback.
- Branding and marketing: Create a strong brand identity that differentiates your business from competitors. Develop a marketing strategy to promote your products or services, attract customers, and build brand awareness.
- Establish a sales strategy: Develop a strategy that aligns with your target market and business goals. This may include direct sales, partnerships, or digital channels like e-commerce.
- Manage finances: Keep a close eye on your business’s financial health. Develop a budget, track income and expenses, and monitor key financial metrics. Consider working with an accountant or financial advisor to help manage your finances.
- Focus on customer satisfaction: Deliver excellent customer service and address customer feedback to build loyalty and encourage repeat business. Happy customers are more likely to refer your business to others.
- Continuously improve and scale: As your business grows, identify areas for improvement, and implement changes accordingly. Look for opportunities to expand your product or service offerings, reach new markets, or increase efficiency.
- Network and build partnerships: Establish relationships with other businesses, industry leaders, and potential partners. Networking can lead to valuable collaborations, referrals, and increased visibility for your business.
- Monitor and measure progress: Regularly evaluate your business’s performance against your goals and objectives. Use key performance indicators (KPIs) to track progress and make data-driven decisions.
The value of your business is based on cash flow. If you retained 95% ownership of your business and sold 5% of it for $50,000, then the value of your ownership would be considered $950,000, making you practically a millionaire as your company was valued at $1 million with that equity sale. Remember, building a business to a value of one million dollars takes time, dedication, and persistence. Stay focused on your goals, be willing to adapt, and learn from your experiences along the way.
3. Own 1,000 shares of a stock that grows to be worth $1,000 a share.
Owning 1,000 shares of a stock that grows to be worth $1,000 a share can make you a millionaire because the value of your investment would be:
1,000 shares * $1,000/share = $1,000,000
This means that the total value of your investment would reach one million dollars if the stock price appreciates to $1,000 per share.
Of course, this is just an example to make it simple based on the math. Amazon is an excellent example of this principle. Anyone that accumulated and held 1,000 shares of Amazon stock over its first 20 years at any price became a millionaire as it crossed the price of $1,000. Most other stocks will split, and you will end up growing your share count and the stock price at the same time so that the math will look different. However, the principle here is you only have to pick the right stock once to become a millionaire.
Choosing the right stock for exponential growth can be challenging, as predicting future stock performance is not an exact science. However, you can follow these guidelines to increase your chances of selecting a stock with solid growth potential:
- Understand the business: Invest in companies that you understand and believe in. Familiarize yourself with their business model, products or services, and competitive advantage. This knowledge will help you make informed decisions about your prospects.
- Analyze financial performance: Examine the company’s financial statements and key metrics, such as revenue growth, profit margins, and return on equity. Look for companies with a history of strong financial performance and positive trends.
- Evaluate the industry and market trends: Research the company’s industry and identify any macro trends that may impact its growth potential. Invest in companies that are well-positioned to benefit from these trends.
- Look for a competitive advantage: Seek companies with a unique product, service, or strategy that sets them apart. A strong competitive advantage can lead to higher market share and long-term growth.
- Consider management quality: Strong management teams with a proven track record of success can play a crucial role in driving growth. Evaluate the company’s leadership and its ability to execute strategic plans.
- Growth potential: Choose companies that have a clear path to exponential growth, either through product innovation, expansion into new markets, or strategic acquisitions.
- Valuation: Compare the company’s valuation to its peers and historical averages. While growth stocks can sometimes trade at higher valuations, ensuring you’re not overpaying for the growth potential is crucial.
- Diversified business model: Don’t invest in a business with all its eggs in one basket. Invest in a diversified business with multiple services, products, and cash flow to spread risk and increase your chances of picking a winner.
It’s essential to remember that even the most promising stocks can experience setbacks and exponential growth is not guaranteed. Conduct thorough research, be prepared to hold your investments for the long term, and consider consulting a financial advisor to help with your investment decisions.
- Buy and hold investing in a stock index over the long term is a high probability way to become a millionaire.
- Building a business worth a million dollars is the fastest path to a millionaire.
- You can become a millionaire by picking the right stock and owing enough shares to become a millionaire off its growth cycle.
Becoming a millionaire doesn’t have to be a daunting, high-stress journey. A low-effort approach can build wealth over time without sacrificing peace of mind. Remember, the key to success lies in consistently saving and investing, taking advantage of business opportunities, and always looking for world-changing stocks to grow your capital. So, get started today, and let your money and business know-how work for you as you enjoy becoming a millionaire.