A list of the current most shorted stocks right now can be a great place to start for potential deep dip value buys. Stocks with the highest short interest across all major U.S. stock exchanges is a good list to watch and stay updated on.
The below companies have the highest percentage of their share float borrowed to sell short. These short positions reveal built in future buying pressure as the shares short must be bought back to cover. These stocks are the ones in the highest danger of short squeezes as the bears may have overstayed their welcome. Bears failed to lock in their profit and appear to be betting on a $0 price point. Selling short goes against the long term trend in the stock market however stocks getting on the most shorted stock list can be bullish for a stock signaling it is about to rally higher after reaching the highest level of short interest in the market.
Be aware that the NASDAQ short interest is updated twice a month. Short interest data is reported on mid-month and end-of-month settlement dates for NASDAQ listed stocks. Most exchanges do month end reporting. So it is constantly changing but is delayed in reporting.
Here is a list of the 25 most heavily shorted stocks in the stock market currently.
- BGFV Big 5 Sporting Goods Corp Nasdaq 38.42% Retailers – Miscellaneous Specialty
- WKHS Workhorse Group Inc Nasdaq 37.33% Auto & Truck Manufacturers
- BLNK Blink Charging Co Nasdaq 33.95% Utilities – Electric
- FUV Arcimoto Inc Nasdaq 33.25% Auto & Truck Manufacturers
- SDC SmileDirectClub Inc Nasdaq 32.74% Medical Equipment, Supplies & Distribution
- GOGO Gogo Inc Nasdaq 32.23% Communications Services
- ICPT Intercept Pharmaceuticals Inc Nasdaq 32.21% Biotechnology & Medical Research
- GDRX Goodrx Holdings Inc Nasdaq 30.94% Online Services
- GOTU Gaotu Techedu Inc NYSE 30.88% Miscellaneous Educational Service Providers
- ROOT Root Inc Nasdaq 30.72% Insurance – Multiline & Brokers
- OCGN Ocugen Inc Nasdaq 27.94% Biotechnology & Medical Research
- MSTR MicroStrategy Inc Nasdaq 25.71% Software & Programming
- PETS Petmed Express Inc Nasdaq 24.23% Retail (Drugs)
- CLVS Clovis Oncology Inc Nasdaq 24.16% Biotechnology & Drugs
- RIOT Riot Blockchain Inc Nasdaq 23.85% Fintech – Blockchain & Cryptocurrency
- GEO The GEO Group Inc NYSE 23.83% REITs – Specialized
- AXDX Accelerate Diagnostics Inc Nasdaq 23.63% Scientific & Technical Instruments
- W Wayfair Inc NYSE 23.07% Retailers – Department Stores
- PRTS Carparts.Com Inc Nasdaq 22.80% Retailers – Auto Vehicles, Parts & Service
- SENS Senseonics Holdings Inc AMEX 22.39% Medical Equipment & Supplies
- CRCT Cricut Inc Nasdaq 22.32% Retailers – Miscellaneous Specialty
- IRBT iRobot Corporation Nasdaq 21.82% Electronic Equipment & Parts
- BBBY Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. Nasdaq 21.78% Retail (Specialty Non-Apparel)
- NKLA Nikola Corporation Nasdaq 21.73% Auto & Truck Manufacturers
- BYND Beyond Meat Inc Nasdaq 21.65% Food Processing