A list of the current most shorted stocks right now can be a great place to look for potential deep dip value buys. The stocks with the highest short interest across on major U.S. stock exchanges is a good list to watch and stay updated on for short squeeze opportunities.
The below company stocks have the highest percentage of their share float borrowed to sell short. These short positions reveal built in future buying pressure as the shares short must eventually be bought back to cover. These stocks are the ones in the highest danger of short squeezes after the bears may have overstayed their welcome. Bears that failed to lock in their profit late in a high short interest stock can get a big upside surprise with any bullish news event that brings hope back for the stock to go higher. Selling short goes against the long term trend in the stock market and stocks getting on the most shorted stock list can be bullish for a stock signaling it is about to rally higher after reaching one of the highest levels of short interest.
The NASDAQ short interest is updated twice a month. Short interest data is reported on mid-month and end-of-month settlement dates for NASDAQ listed stocks. Most exchanges do month end reporting on short interest. So it is constantly updating and changing but is delayed in reporting.
Here is a list of the 25 most heavily shorted stocks in the stock market currently.
- BGFV Big 5 Sporting Goods Corp Nasdaq 43.08% Retailers – Miscellaneous Specialty
- ROOT Root Inc Nasdaq 41.77% Insurance – Multiline & Brokers
- WKHS Workhorse Group Inc Nasdaq 36.60% Auto & Truck Manufacturers
- BLNK Blink Charging Co Nasdaq 35.82% Utilities – Electric
- AGC Altimeter Growth Corp Nasdaq 34.80% Investment Holding Companies
- FUV Arcimoto Inc Nasdaq 34.36% Auto & Truck Manufacturers
- GOGO Gogo Inc Nasdaq 32.38% Communications Services
- SDC SmileDirectClub Inc Nasdaq 31.00% Medical Equipment, Supplies & Distribution
- NKLA Nikola Corporation Nasdaq 30.78% Auto & Truck Manufacturers
- OTRK Ontrak, Inc. Nasdaq 29.74% Healthcare Facilities
- BTBT Bit Digital Inc Nasdaq 29.55% Fintech – Blockchain & Cryptocurrency
- OCGN Ocugen Inc Nasdaq 29.38% Biotechnology & Medical Research
- ICPT Intercept Pharmaceuticals Inc Nasdaq 28.41% Biotechnology & Medical Research
- GOTU Gaotu Techedu Inc NYSE 27.95% Miscellaneous Educational Service Providers
- PETS Petmed Express Inc Nasdaq 27.91% Retail (Drugs)
- BBIG Vinco Ventures Inc Nasdaq 27.76% Toys & Children’s Products
- BYND Beyond Meat Inc Nasdaq 27.65% Food Processing
- BBBY Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. Nasdaq 27.41% Retail (Specialty Non-Apparel)
- RIDE Lordstown Motors Corp Nasdaq 26.31% Auto & Truck Manufacturers
- GDRX Goodrx Holdings Inc Nasdaq 26.30% Online Services
- IRBT iRobot Corporation Nasdaq 25.87% Electronic Equipment & Parts
- ATER Aterian Inc Nasdaq 25.37% Appliances, Tools & Housewares
- CRCT Cricut Inc Nasdaq 24.93% Retailers – Miscellaneous Specialty
- SKLZ Skillz Inc NYSE 24.61% IT Services & Consulting
- W Wayfair Inc NYSE 24.07% Retailers – Department Stores